Monday, February 04, 2008





All you freaky ass ho’s from the north to the south,
stick out your tongue
and get these balls up in your mouth”

DJ Deeon – Gimme Head

One thing that may always be a mystery too me is why girls seem to absolutely love Ghettotech. Lyrically it’s some of the most vulgar and misogynistic music there is; but hell when it comes time to drop ones booty to the floor it seems it’s ‘the dirtier the better’ as a rule. I’m sure not complaining though cause it certainly raises the temperature of a dancefloor on a Saturday night and really, I think we all know to take this with a pretty big grain of salt(no matter what Dj Assault’s true intentions are…). But I digress, for this is no ghettotech mix (although I just happen to know and love all 3 tracks here and only a few others on the rest of the tape), no it’s 18 songs and 45 minutes of relentless, energetic, eclectic, bass-heavy and sweat inducing peak-time tunes.

I’d go through each tune but I’d run the risk of sounding like an ignorant fool so I’ll stick with the 8 that I know for sure and gloss over the one’s that caught my ear that I don’t know. The three aforementioned Ghettotech songs help gets things warmed up, first with Aaron Carl’s seductive 21 positions, mmm I love sexy girls singing about dirty things…mmm that bassline, oo yeaaa…ahem. Next we have the previously quoted Gimme Head by DJ Deeon, hmm wonder what this songs about (songs got an undeniable beat though)…and then, a classic, Assault’s Dick by the Pound. This is the second Ghettotech song I ever heard, I know its second because it’s the song after Ass’N’Titties on Mr Mutha Fukha. I love this song because of the back and forth vocals which are strangely…err…do I dare say, charming?! (now that is not the right word…). Next up is a pretty epic female fronted Baile Funk track which I haven’t a clue about but if the author of this tape wants to spill the beans, you know...I’d appreciate it and stuff.


The next song is Dexplicit feat. Nana – Lost Control (wideboys booty juice mix) a bassline tune I didn’t know at all when I first got this tape, but the past month I’ve been poking my nose around the web(or mainly just Continuum’s blog and the Dissensus thread) and happened upon it completely by accident. It’s actually a pretty great song for some reason I can’t really put my finger on. In a genre where every song sounds the same, it’s one of the few songs that sounds different, but really it doesn’t sound different at all…ugh I have no idea how to describe this song, but I just know I like it(and pretty much everything else Dexplicit has a hand in).

The next song is by the mighty Blaqstarr (who I wish would release a whole lot more since everything he’s done is golden to my ears). All the girls around the world is simply a great B-more track, the signature stuttering beat, the androgynous vocal beckoning the girls to the dancefloor and the wonderful little descending guitar sample floating in the background holding everything together; pure bliss(yes that’s all it takes for me to achieve bliss). We then segue into another song I’m a big fan of, Akon’s Don’t Matter (Calypso remix). I’m assuming pretty much everyone’s heard the original, yea this version’s better, that’s all I’m gonna say about that.

There really is only one song on here that I can say I’m not a fan of. I don’t know who it’s by but it’s some weird reggaeton song sampling Europe’s Final Countdown. Yea the song’s the sample and some drums and some shouting in Spanish over it…meh. A couple of songs later tough Mr. (or Mrs.??) DJ makes me completely forget that hiccup and drops a song my roommate would always play when we were passing the bong around, but I was always too mashed to remember who it was. Anyways it queued up a whole lot of nostalgia (ah the nostalgia of two years past) and the first time I heard it on the tape I was so surprised I think I almost cried and I rewound it 3 or 4 times. Anyways I scrambled to finally figure out who the hell made this wonderfully bizarre politically charged Calypso tinged track. I guess it was a song called Wanted (Dead or Alive) by Manhattan Transfer originally, who I admittedly don’t really know anything about, but the version on this tape is a cover I think cause the beats a bit heavier, the vocalist’s different and there’s these bleeping noises over the top. The version I downloaded is good but not as good as the one on the tape.

Ok the next two songs gave me a shit eating grin because they were incredibly stupid (in absolutely the best way imaginable). The first is a fiery Baile Funk track, which is a genre which is always wacky. It opens up sampling the theme from Star Wars, queue angry Brazilian rapping and heavy bass, nuff said, awesome track. The next is a sped up dubbed out mix of Michael Jackson’s Billie Jean. This song does inexplicable things to people on the dancefloor, great great great track and if I don’t find out who did this song soon my life will be left incomplete. Anyways the tape pretty much winds itself up with the Cutty Ranks song A Who Seh Meh Dun(Wake De Man) which is a real pleasant end of the night tune ideal for those end of party L’s when everyone that’s not important has already left.

O’ I guess I should say at this point the A side to this tape is completely inaudible, maybe that’s why it’s called Is That All There Is? It’s quite alright I tested this one side at a house party a bit ago and you can’t give a better review to a party mix than to have 20+ people dropping it and making it sweat. That wraps up my horribly written slapdash review. Peace.

NOW REVIEW MY TAPE PLEASE!!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

MASSIVE APOLOGIES that Side A did not turn out... I had vetted it myself, though maybe only one channel recorded (been known to happen on my piece-of-shit recorder). Hilariously perhaps, I spent WAY more time on Side A, even re-recorded it a couple times. Side B was done more or less off the cuff.

Kudos on your excellent ear in spite of my laziness in providing track titles. To make it up to you, the Billie Jean track is DJ C's jungle remix of Shinehead's cover. I hope your life is a bit more complete. The Final Countdown track you hated was South African kwaito and you are the first person I know to dislike it. The epic baile funk track is... I think "Cocota" by MC Tati. The soca that brought tears to your eyes is by Mighty Sparrow, but I didn't know it was a cover, thanks for the info!

-G

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that info..and I didn't hate that kwaito song, perhaps my ears just aren't adjusted to the sounds yet just didn't seem to go anywhere.